Biotechnology Industry Organization
1201 Maryland Avenue S.W., Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20024
Position Title: Managing Director X Exempt Non-Exempt
Science and Regulatory Affairs
Department: Food and Agriculture
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Food and Agriculture
Primary Purpose of the Position:
To lead and represent BIO on all plant biotechnology scientific and regulatory matters related to food and agriculture.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for organization’s policy development and advocacy on plant biotechnology science and regulatory issues ensuring coordination among members and with other BIO departments and Sections on cross-cutting issues.
2. Responsible for managing organization’s member company plant policy committees, task forces and work groups and supporting other BIO committees as assigned to develop and implement Association policies, action plans and programs.
3. Interacts with federal agencies, Congress and outside stakeholders on plant biotechnology issues in coordination with other appropriate BIO departments and sections to effectuate organization’s policy and regulatory agenda.
4. Responsible for effectively representing BIO with the Food Industry Codex Coalition and the U.S. government on Codex Alimentarius Commission plant biotechnology issues.
5. Develops and implements organization’s educational venues on plant biotechnology issues in coordination with other appropriate BIO departments and sections.
6. Assists with recruiting new plant biotechnology member companies to BIO in coordination with other appropriate BIO departments and sections.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
In-depth knowledge of the science of plant biotechnology.
Good working knowledge of the plant biotechnology and agriculture industries.
Thorough working knowledge of U.S. regulations, and science and regulatory institutions and issues.
Good working knowledge of public and private research activities in plant biotechnology.
Effective communication, management and organizational skills to effectively implement the organization’s agenda.
Education and Experience Required:
M.S. or PhD or equivalent in plant science, preferably plant genetics.
Minimum of 10 years experience in plant biotechnology or comparable issues.
Trade association management experience desirable.
Experience in working directly with researchers, companies, universities and regulatory agencies in plant science/biotechnology issues.