COMPANY: MasterCard Worldwide
TITLE: Director, U.S. State Government Affairs & Community Outreach
LOCATION: Washington, D. C.
MasterCard Worldwide is a driving force at the heart of commerce, enabling global transactions and bringing insight into the payments process to make commerce faster, more secure, and more valuable to everyone involved. As a technology-driven, global payments company, MasterCard provides a critical link between consumers, financial institutions, and millions of businesses and merchants in more than 210 countries and territories. Powered by the MasterCard Worldwide Network – the fastest payment network in the world – MasterCard advances commerce by developing more secure, convenient, and rewarding payment solutions, processing billions of payments seamlessly across the globe, and building economic connections that accelerate business. In 2011, MasterCard reported $6.7B in revenue and employed over 6,000 employees worldwide.
We are seeking a Director of U.S. State Government Affairs & Community Outreach in Washington, D.C. This person will lobby to protect and promote MasterCard, primarily in the state legislative arena, while supporting the U.S. Government Affairs team on various community relations initiatives designed to increase overall efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness.
MAJOR POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director will be expected to:
• Develop policy positions drawing on a deep understanding of business priorities.
• Build meaningful relationships with members of state legislatures, key staff, and other state government officials.
• Identify at an early stage, quantify, and prioritize emerging state legislation that will affect MasterCard and its key customers and ensure business awareness of potential risks and benefits.
• Create and execute proactive strategies, objectives and plans to promote MasterCard’s public image and standing with key government officials and stakeholders.
• Implement innovative programs demonstrating MasterCard’s leadership role in the policy arena.
• Identify and foster relationships with third party allies community groups NGOs who may be beneficial to MasterCard’s advocacy efforts.
• Help manage appropriate external state consulting resources to bring effective focus on specific issues or ongoing relationship development requirements within the legislative arena.
• Work with internal product teams to help tailor MasterCard products and services to address specific government needs.
• Establish and maintain high-level relationships with trade association meetings and multi-industry coalitions to deliver policy results for MasterCard and customers.
• Draft and maintain supporting materials to supplement MasterCard’s advocacy efforts.
• Support our internal communications by creating and distributing updates on legislative developments tailored specifically to the interested and relevant internal MasterCard audiences.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
A deep understanding of the state legislative process is important; however, there is not one specific career path that is required in order to be a successful candidate. It is imperative that a successful candidate have a proven and recognized track record of success in their prior field. Primary qualifications include:
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast paced and competitive environment.
• High degree of political awareness that facilitates anticipating changing events and enables the Director to move beyond responding to the inevitable vagaries of the legislative environment.
• Prior examples of being a self starter which lead to measurable results and victories.
• A high degree of motivation is paramount.
• A thorough understanding of the state legislative arena, including an understanding of the roles and decision-making processes of state executive and legislative branches of government.
• An ability to work with a wide range of personalities and interests, including industry colleagues, policymakers, staffers, and MasterCard executives.
• A proven record of accomplishment in advancing and promoting important issues through the legislative and/or regulatory process.
• Demonstrated orientation towards business growth.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking skills, including experience prioritizing conflicting demands from multiple business entities.
• Knowledge of, and relations with, key state financial services regulators would be beneficial.
• Experience working with elected officials, policymakers, executive level management, NGOs, and industry associations; and successfully working within a corporate structure.
A successful candidate must thrive in a competitive environment, while possessing a dedication to excellence and an unbending desire to succeed. Main personal qualifications for success will include:
• An individual with deep integrity and excellent values that immediately generates respect and trust, internally and externally.
• The intellectual horsepower to grasp complex issues.
• Ability to message and explain complicated issues effectively to diverse audiences.
• The instincts and natural ability to lead and thrive in a dynamic, intelligent, highly-matrixed environment.
• Possession of high “EQ,” a collaborative team player with a sense of fairness and respect in dealing with colleagues. The ability to foster an open and honest relationship with peers and superiors, without surprises or politics.
• An innovator – a creative thinker who is not afraid to suggest new ideas, ask tough questions, or tackle large, complicated issues.
• Self-starter with a great deal of initiative and a natural energy, motivation, and endurance to work in an evolving, growth-oriented, fast-paced environment.
• Proven thought leader on issues with strong project management skills.
An undergraduate degree is required
A strong compensation package will be provided to attract outstanding candidates. This person must be comfortable with a performance based compensation system.
8300 Greensboro Drive
McLean, VA 22102