Biotechnology Industry Organization
1201 Maryland Avenue, SW, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20024
X Exempt Non-Exempt
Position Title: Executive Assistant to the Executive Vice President of Emerging Companies and Business Development
Department: Emerging Companies and Business Development
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Emerging Companies and Business Development
The primary purpose of this position is to provide administrative support to the Executive Vice President, Emerging Companies and Business Development; the Emerging Companies Section Governing Board and the Emerging Companies and Business Development department, as directed. This support includes assistance with the execution of and development of materials for the Emerging Companies Section Governing Board meetings. In addition, this position will also be responsible for a small number of research and writing projects.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Executive Assistant to EVP
1. Manage EVP’s travel and meeting schedule. Coordinate meetings as necessary. Develop travel binder and other materials to support extensive travel by EVP.
2. Arrange and confirm all travel arrangements. Complete expense reports and manage filing process.
3. Manage contact lists and organize contacts, including entering new contacts.
4. Answer telephone calls, electronic mail and transmit messages as needed. Must be able to develop a phone log and follow-up to ensure calls are returned.
5. Provide support with the day-to-day activities using an organized system.
6. Interact with BIO staff on projects and issues.
7. Copying, faxing and filing as needed.
8. Sort mail/Fedex, etc. as needed.
9. Process all accounting matters and contracts. Route contracts internally and send approved contracts to third parties for counter signature.
Support for ECS Governing Board
10. Liaise as necessary with members of the Emerging Companies Section Governing Board and their executive assistants. Assist ECSGB members and their assistants with accommodations and registration for events as appropriate.
11. Maintain contact and distribution lists as well as ECS Governing Board rosters and schedules.
12. Assist with event preparation for ECS Governing Board and its Committees’ meetings, including maintaining RSVP lists, developing name cards (“tent cards”), room set up, etc.
13. As appropriate, assist with the preparation of Board/Governing Board materials. Includes converting documents to PDF format, combining documents, and proofreading materials.
14. Develop individualized emails to Board members with schedules and materials for pending meetings.
15. As appropriate, assist with the publication and distribution of the ECS Governing Board New Member Orientation Book.
16. As appropriate, assist with taking minutes during ECSGB meeting and the development of a formal minutes document.
ECS Department Assistance
17. Coordinate the screening, evaluation and recruitment of new hires.
18. Provide administrative support as directed for department directors. Includes support for scheduling and travel.
19. Review and approve expense reports filed by Department directors.
20. Create marketing books (printing & binding) based on direction from EVP and directors.
21. Interact with department consultants, as needed, on projects and issues.
22. Support the portfolio of Business Development/Investor Relations conferences, as needed.
23. Manage logistics for several intra-departmental group conference calls; includes reserving the conference room, catering as needed and executing room set-up and clean-up.
24. Maintain department’s library of publications.
25. Maintain department workroom.
26. Oversee the management of department temporary staff, as directed.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
This individual must be very well organized, discreet, mature, and be able to handle sensitive information in a secure, confidential manner. The individual should be able to interact with professional EA’s or individuals who represent CEOs/Board members.
The individual must be both a self-starter, flexible, and a team player. Strong writing skills are a plus.
Computer literate – Microsoft environment (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), and Adobe Acrobat
Comfortable working with numbers and excel spreadsheets.
Interact and communicate with all levels of the organization/BIO member companies. Maturity in interactions with Board members and their staff are required.
Knowledge of general office procedures and machines.
Travel up to 10%.
Education and Experience Required:
2-4 years administrative experience.
Previous scheduling experience preferred.
Previous experience as an Executive Assistant preferred, though, not required.