THE PEW CHARITABLE TRUSTS
Senior Associate, Food Portfolio
Pew Government Relations Department
The Pew Charitable Trusts is driven by the power of knowledge to solve today's most challenging problems. Pew applies a rigorous, analytical approach to improving public policy, informing the public and stimulating civic life. Based in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., Pew produces fact-based research and develops practical solutions to challenging issues.
Pew Government Relations
Government Relations (GR) was established in 2006 to complement and advance Pew’s work in the public policy arena. In 2010, the department was reorganized and staff that had been spread throughout the institution were consolidated into a single unit. Government Relations is comprised of a managing director and four units overseeing advocacy of Pew’s programmatic agenda as well as operations and institutional advocacy. The priorities of the department are to: (1) provide relevant, timely and insightful advice on legislation of direct relevance to the Trusts, its programs and advocacy goals; (2) develop close effective relationships with key congressional offices, the administration and the government affairs staffs of major trade organizations relevant to our work; (3) develop Pew’s annual advocacy strategy as well as manage and facilitate its implementation; (4) work hand in hand with program staff and policy experts to guide advocacy from inception to successful completion; (5) coordinate, collaborate and communicate with and between Government Relations and program staff to advance institutional priorities, (6) monitor, track, review and approve all interactions between Pew staff and government officials including participation in coalition efforts and work with our external stakeholders; and (7) ensure full compliance by Pew with all applicable regulations related to lobbying and advocacy.
The Pew Health Group
The Pew Health Group (PHG) seeks to improve the health and well-being of all Americans. Based on research and critical analysis, the program advocates policies that reduce unacceptable health risks, focusing on areas that include food, medical and consumer product safety.
The Pew Health Group’s Food Portfolio addresses a variety of threats to the nation’s food supply and to the healthfulness of what kids are eating at school. Our experts advocate for policies that will limit the impact of foodborne illnesses, improve the nutritional quality and safety of food sold and served in U.S. schools and assess the risks associated with chemical additives in food.
The senior associate is part of a team of programmatic and government relations professionals and policy experts advancing the advocacy goals of Pew Health Group's Food Portfolio. The senior associate reports to the senior officer, Government Relations (PHG), but on a day-to-day basis is expected to work closely with the Food Portfolio programmatic staff as well as the Government Relations staff assigned to the PHG. The person will also support policy analysis and outreach to stakeholders and the public. The position is housed at Pew’s Washington, D.C. office.
• Develop strategies to achieve government-related campaign goals
• Research relevant policymaker needs and work with program staff to translate Pew information for Hill materials
• Coordinate with and advise program staff regarding targeted advocacy research for executive branch or congressional policymakers
• Schedule and attend meetings with policymakers with program staff as directed
• Track and analyze relevant legislation or other policy proposals
• Liaise with other Pew programs or health and consumer community groups as directed and in consultation with program staff
• Strong ability to succinctly summarize complex policy issues in simple, lay person-friendly writing required.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work with a wide array of people who have a variety of interests and viewpoints.
• Food policy expertise preferred; experience on a relevant congressional committee, or as the staffer for a committee member, or experience at relevant food agency desirable.
• Background in legislation and/or regulatory process required
• Bachelor degree required; advanced degree preferred
• Eight years of relevant experience including congressional, administrative and government relations work
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including a generous 401(k) plan, four weeks of vacation and flexible benefits options.
Little travel anticipated.
How to Apply
For application instructions candidates are invited to visit the Careers@Pew page on our Web site at www.pewtrusts.org