JOB TITLE: Director of Communications
The Medical Device Manufacturers Association (MDMA) is seeking a Director of Communications to develop, coordinate and manage the association’s communications with a variety of audiences. MDMA’s goal is to increase public awareness about MDMA’s policy initiatives, advocacy efforts as well as the value of emerging medical technology companies. This position will create the key message platform for the organization, as well as, develop and execute the strategies necessary to increase awareness. The ideal candidate must have broad social and political skills, flexibility in managing multiple issues, and the ability to form and communicate ideas and concepts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY OBJECTIVES:
• Lead the planning, development, and implementation of the organization’s communication and media strategies;
• Develop and implement, with key staff, communication and media strategies for federal advocacy efforts and campaigns;
• Manage MDMA website, and electronic communications to ensure consistent and effective messaging to media and other MDMA constituencies;
• Identify opportunities to engage media and to place information to raise awareness of organization’s mission, positions, and campaigns;
• Maintain ongoing relationships with key media contacts and cultivate new relationships with media to increase the organization’s mission and visibility;
• Respond to media requests to determine appropriate responses, to identify best interviewees, and to personally engage in media interviews as appropriate;
• Write press releases, press kits, blogs, letters to the editor, op-eds, video scripts and other materials;
• Monitor daily news to identify stories and incidents that may be relevant to MDMA members and/or promoting MDMA’s mission;
• Track media placement and preparing periodic media tracking reports; and
• Write and create content for, and be involved in production of, association’s annual report and other materials.
• BA or BS in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, Public Policy, Broadcasting or other relevant field. A graduate degree in communications or a background in journalism is preferred;
• Five to seven years experience leading communications or media projects, working with news media, advocacy and policy;
• Excellent writing, editorial expertise and communication skills;
• Proven capacity to successfully frame and translate complex policy issues for both journalists and the public;
• Proven experience and success in developing and executing media strategies involving complex policy issues;
• Knowledge of health care, medical devices, and/or medical policy preferred;
• Experience with Congressional and/or regulatory process;
• Ability to lead and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
• Good computer skills are required, including proficiency with database programs,
• Video and podcasting experience a plus; and
• Demonstrable social media savvy.
Interested applicants please reference "Director of Communications" in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume and salary history (must be included to be considered) to MDMA via e-mail at: email@example.com. NO CALLS PLEASE.
The Medical Device Manufacturers Association (MDMA) is a national trade association based in Washington, DC providing educational and advocacy assistance to hundreds of innovative and entrepreneurial medical technology companies. Since 1992, MDMA has been the voice for smaller companies, playing a proactive role in helping to shape policies that impact the medical device innovator. This is accomplished by maintaining relationships with key Members of Congress, senior staff at FDA and CMS, and through the grassroots support of our members. MDMA is an equal opportunity employer. MDMA offers outstanding benefits and a friendly, team oriented environment. Comprehensive health, dental, disability, 401k/FSA, PTO.