Position Title: Manager, Food and Agriculture Policy
Department: Food and Agriculture
Reports to: Sharon Bomer Lauritsen, Executive Vice President
The Food and Agriculture Department is responsible for BIO’s policy development, advocacy and educational programs on animal and plant biotechnology. The incumbent serves as Manager for Food and Agriculture Policy, providing professional policy support to Executive Vice President and two Directors on various issues focusing on plant biotechnology. The incumbent is responsible for member company and stakeholder committee management, member communications, operating BIO’s compliance and database task forces, organizing training workshops, and research on various issues. In addition, the incumbent is the point person for coordinating the Food and Agriculture Department’s involvement in BIO’s international convention.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Research and draft background papers, policy position papers, talking points, testimony, speeches, member-only policy newsletter and other communications pieces. Write correspondence for senior leaders with BIO’s Food and Agriculture Section, and BIO as needed.
2. Staff and support multiple committees, working groups and task forces including crafting agendas, organizing meetings, recording minutes, preparing summary and/or action items from meetings, and liaise with BIO member companies and stakeholders on a range of international and domestic agricultural biotech issues.
3. Represent BIO at meetings of stakeholders, government agencies and multinational organizations as needed.
4. Maintain database and member company committee responsible for two websites containing approved member company products by market.
5. Organize compliance workshops at various scientific society meetings.
6. Conduct policy research in support of Section initiatives.
7. Serve as key administrative and policy person on matters related to BIO’s annual convention.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Excellent writing, organizational and interpersonal skills are a must. Demonstrated record as a team player. Individual must be able to work independently and with minimal guidance, enjoy work that requires close attention to detail and have a demonstrated track record in customer service.
Education and Experience Required:
Minimum of college degree in a science, agriculture, or public policy related field. Advanced degree or 5 years related work experience preferred.
Biotechnology Industry Organization
1201 Maryland Avenue SW, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20024