Vice President, Government Relations Career Education Corporation
As Vice President, Government Affairs, the individual the Career Education Corporation seeks must be capable of understanding the substantive policy issues associated with the for profit education industry. The individual will be required to develop and implement an aggressive and creative strategic plan for successfully achieving specific legislative results in Washington and in the states that are favorable to CEC’s campuses and their shareholders.
The Vice President, Government Affairs will oversee development of proactive plans and objectives, policies and strategies that affect the company’s business operations, its standing with key government officials and influencers at the federal and state level, and its position as a public policy leader in the education industry.
It is critical that this individual possess significant political acumen and be perceived as a force in Washington and with key officials in the states (on both sides on the aisle). Well-established relationships in the states and both on Capitol Hill and the Administration are key.
Additionally, s/he will be expected to consult with and advise members of the Board of Directors and will work closely with the Company’s senior management team.
Understanding of for-profit education or other regulated industry is preferred. Deep functional experience in government affairs with strong relationships in the education community and proven coalition-building skills is essential.
The Vice President, Government Affairs will be expected to:
· As the Company’s chief lobbyist, represent CEC before Congress, the Administration, and the Department of Education.
· Act as a visionary who can formulate and communicate the public policy and government affairs direction of the organization, set strategy and manage the various departments’ continued evolution and growth. Must have the ability to translate the overall vision into practical plans that promote company objectives through compelling advocacy and consensus building in government affairs.
· Manage the company’s federal and state government relations including the PAC and related political activities (grassroots, corporate contributions, lobbying oversight, etc), working in a coordinated way with the Company’s Chief Marketing Officer.
· Utilize grassroots and grass tops techniques to marshal support of CEC’s key policy initiatives.
· Oversee the government affairs annual budget, allocate resources effectively and hold a variety of vendor/agency relationships.
· Provide thought leadership in key policy areas and execute the strategies such that resulting government actions are aligned with company goals. Work closely with senior management in the development of those policy positions and relationships that increase the profile of CEC’s in support of the company’s business objectives and reputation.
· Engage with or facilitate creation of broad coalitions to advance the company’s legislative agenda.
· Advise and update President & Chief Executive Officer on current legislative and political priorities.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate should have a strong and successful record of leading across multi-functions for an education focused company, association, or in a similarly regulated industry. A minimum of 12-15 years experience is required: a combination of experience in federal and state government relations is ideal but not required.
Additional qualifications include:
· Thorough understanding of legislative and regulatory policy issues that affect the education industry.
· Sound strategic and management skills, capable of creating and communicating a vision, both internally and externally of the future of the company and its differentiation versus peers. Includes the ability to anticipate emerging government, public or community/social issues of importance to the industry and to position the company effectively to handle.
· Ability to manage, support and develop people.
· Excellent communication skills – oral and written. Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest level of government and business.
· Successful track record and willing to work for a company that is moving into a higher profile in public policy and in the marketplace.
· Ability to continually raise expectations of performance.
· Experience in setting strategy for PAC and expenditure of political resources and compliance as well as lobbying compliance.
The Vice President, Government Affairs will also have:
· Executive presence, dynamic professional style and the ability to inspire confidence in senior management and those outside the company.
· A reputation for ethical conduct and a commitment to ethical behavior.
· Be energetic, bright, hard working, willing to offer opinions and judgments.
· Be honest and loyal. Politically sensitive. Self-starter, proactive, creative and effective and understands constant change in business and political environments.