Biotechnology Industry Organization 1201 Maryland Avenue S.W., Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20024
JOB DESCRIPTION: Position Title: Director, State Government Relations
Location: Washington, DC
Department: State Government Relations
Reports to: Vice President, State Government Relations
Knowledge of the state health policy issues and state legislative process; strong analytical and communication skills; management experience; and, dedicated team player.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of State Government Relations for health care issues will be responsible for the following:
• Manage all legislative issues affecting the biotechnology industry at the state level. Primary issue areas include Medicaid reimbursement and/or any legislative or regulatory issue affecting access to products or technologies developed by BIO member companies.
• Serve as primary staff contact for BIO State Government Relations Committee (SGRC) on Health Policy
• Organize monthly briefings for SGRC and maintain open line of communication with committee on all legislative/policy activities
• Be prepared to testify and/or submit written testimony on priority issues and work with state-based lobbyists and BIO state affiliates to actively engage state policy makers as needed to accomplish priority objectives.
• Respond to media inquiries relating to state health policy issues.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key public officials, including governors, key administration officials and state legislative leaders.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key legislative associations pertaining to issue focus (e.g. NCSL, CSG, etc)
• Engage BIO state affiliate organizations to build understanding of key health policy issues in an effort to improve affiliate legislative effectiveness.
• Work closely with other BIO departments to develop positions and achieve the objectives of the organization, including Federal Government Relations Department, General Counsel’s Office, Communications Department, Administration and Finance, et al, as necessary.
• Manage departmental budget as it applies to issue area.
Education and Experience Required:
• Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree preferred
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• Superb communication skills, both written and interpersonal
• Excellent analytical skills
• Management experience
• Knowledge of state health policy issues and state legislative process.
• Highly driven and results-oriented
• Ability to work as part of a team
We are recruiting for the attached position. If you are interested or if you know someone that would be interested in the attached position, please let me know via email with a resume attached. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Human Resources Manager
Biotechnology Industry Organization
1201 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Suite 900
Washington, DC 20024