Director, Media Relations
The Community Financial Services Association (CFSA)
I would appreciate referrals of candidates for a Director, Media Relations search I am conducting on behalf of CFSA, a national trade association in Old Town, Alexandria, whose members provide valuable short-term credit options to consumers. My client is seeking a press savvy media relations professional to serve as spokesperson and generate earned media coverage surrounding the best practices of their member companies.
The ideal candidate will have experience:
1. Serving in a proactive communications capacity in a congressional campaign or on Capitol Hill
2. Proactively gaining visibility and/or responding to heavy media inquiries for an underexposed / controversial issue or public figure;
3. Designing and executing an aggressive public affairs campaign.
**Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Below my signature line is the full job announcement which you are welcome to distribute to colleagues, listservs or through social media.
Thanks in advance,
p.s. You are invited to Link In with me at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/shiraharrington
Founder & President
Purposeful Hire, Inc.
For every hire, there is a purpose.
Director, Media Relations
The Community Financial Services Association of America (CFSA)
The Community Financial Services Association of America (CFSA), a high profile national trade association serving a niche segment of the lending community, is seeking an energetic, press savvy communications professional to spearhead a proactive, substantive and political media relations campaign. Showcasing the best practices of an industry that is providing an indispensable service for many Americans who rely on periodic short-term credit options, the next director will serve as an on-the-record and on-camera spokesperson to positively respond to misinformation in the public sphere. Position reports to Chief Policy Officer.
CFSA is an organization dedicated to advancing financial empowerment for consumers through small dollar, short-term loans. Now in its 12th year, CFSA was established to promote laws and regulations that protect consumers, while preserving their access to credit options, and to support and encourage responsible payday advance industry practices.
Abiding by a strict code of ethics for its members (details of which can be found on the Best Practices section of its website), CFSA is dedicated to transparency and accountability in their members’ practices.
• Serve as official media spokesperson both on-the-record and on-camera
• Produce and execute a proactive communications plan targeting political media outlets and related stakeholders
• Develop and coordinate messages among key state and federal government affairs teams and produce collateral materials
• Supervise two employees and manage an external public relations firm
• Liaise with CEOs and communications professionals from association’s member companies
• Traffic in sensitive and confidential information
• Respond rapidly in urgent and changing dynamic
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field
• Minimum 4 years experience on Capitol Hill, a federal agency or 2 campaign cycles as press secretary. Experienced in proactively gaining visibility and/or responding to heavy media inquiries for an underexposed / controversial issue or public figure
• Strategic thinker, able to design and execute an aggressive public affairs campaign
• Possess familiarity and contacts with Washington, DC and national media
• Must have creative and tenacious work style, passionate about achieving success and willing to put in extra hours to do so
• Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills
• Experience with Web 2.0 tools and basic HTML skills
• Experience in the current new media modalities
COMPENSATION: $90,000 + benefits
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: email resume and cover letter (demonstrating experience spearheading a proactive media relations campaign and/or responding to heavy media inquiries for a controversial or underexposed issue) to: Shira Harrington, President, Purposeful Hire at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a retained search.