Politically Savvy Sales Representative (Capitol Hill)
LegiStorm LLC is looking for an entrepreneurial, politically savvy Sales Representative to sell our innovative LegiStorm Pro product. Qualified candidates will have sales experience with measurable results as well as strong political interest -- a government/Congressional background would be very helpful. Our ideal candidate will have a degree in government, political science, business or a closely related area, relevant sales experience and the initiative to take the product and run with it. A Rolodex of contacts on the Hill and K Street would be helpful but is not required. Compensation will be by generous commission. While no salary is offered for this position, our compensation structure is likely to change over time as sales grow and we seek to balance a performance-based approach with the need for stability.
LegiStorm is the premiere non-partisan resource for transparency about who runs the U.S. Congress. Since our founding in 2006, we have been a daily resource for anyone interested in tracking the legislative branch. We were the first web site in the country to publish the salaries of thousands of government employees. We were the first - and still only - source to bring together a decade of data about how private interests have funded more than 30,000 travel getaways by members of Congress and their staff. We continued innovating by being the first web site to publish all personal financial disclosures filed by members of Congress and their staff. We followed that by being the first to publish all gifts provided to U.S. officials by foreign governments. And, thanks to our partners at the non-partisan Taxpayers for Common Sense who produced the data, we were the first to release a web site providing browsable and searchable access to all earmarks. The attention to these earmarks helped at least in small part to lead to their ban.
We do our work by cleverly marrying sophisticated technology with hard-nosed research - such a focus can only truly be appreciated by seeing how much we have invested in an expansive back-office infrastructure to support the current and future data needs of our site. Most importantly, we maintain demanding standards of thoroughness and accuracy required by our users. That commitment is what makes us a widely quoted source among top journalists, from the Wall Street Journal to the Washington Post.
Our first professional product, LegiStorm Pro, is a subscription-based extension of our freely available LegiStorm website. Visit http://www.legistorm.com/pro to read more about the product. The primary goal of LegiStorm's Sales Representative is to promote and sell LegiStorm Pro through professional sales techniques and developing/managing long-term customer relationships. This product is newly launched and it is getting some excellent feedback so far, as well as some early sales, but now we need a sales presence to follow up on the leads we have generated and build lots of new ones. Because our professional product is newly launched and we are just now establishing our sales program, a gung-ho entrepreneurial spirit is needed to understand what works and what doesn't.
Sales activities will include:
• Cold calling to generate sales leads and opportunities
• Setting up trial access for prospects
• Delivering on-site and whiteboard presentations of LegiStorm Pro to prospective customers
• Tracking trial subscription usage and following up with prospects
• Developing an understanding of prospects/clients needs and objectives
• Deep understanding of LegiStorm products
• Keeping up with key political/advocacy issues and players
• Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
• Reporting of sales and lead generation activity to management as needed
• Assisting with product development strategies to positively impact sales strategy
• Tracking prospects on SalesForce.com
Essential Skills and Capabilities:
• Highly self-motivated and intuitive with an entrepreneurial spirit
• Experience with a CRM management tool such as SalesForce.com highly desirable
• Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
• A minimum of 1 year experience in sales or sales-support highly desirable
• Excellent computer and interpersonal skills a must
• Proficiency in MS Office suite
• Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Exceptional, self-directed follow up
• Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written and the ability to communicate with all levels of employees and external contacts
• Must be detail-oriented
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and references to congress at legistorm dot com