National Association of Charter School Authorizers
The Communications Manager will provide support for the full range of NACSA’s communications work, aiding in the development and implementation of advocacy and media strategies, assisting in the writing, production and dissemination of key messages and representing the organization and its values and priorities in all dealings with internal and external audiences. The Manager reports to the Vice President of External Affairs.
Role and Major Responsibilities
The Communications Manager’s responsibilities include:
• Assist the Vice President in the development, production and dissemination of NACSA communications to a variety of audiences;
• Assist the President and the Vice President in the implementation of the organization’s communication and government relations strategies, including outreach activities to members of the media, key policymakers and opinion leaders;
• Actively monitor traditional and new media coverage of NACSA and its issues, evaluating the impact of planned earned media activities as well as seeking opportunities for NACSA communications;
• Assist the Vice President and other members of the staff in the planning and support for organization workshops and conferences;
• Coordinate the work of outside consultants including writers, designers and printers to ensure timely, high quality delivery of needed materials;
• Oversee and create or edit content for important communications vehicles including media releases, newsletters, the NACSA website and social media sites; and,
• Provide dependable copy editing (assuring consistency and accuracy within a draft regarding grammar, punctuation, syntax and institutional style) and contribute to the substantive editing of NACSA material prior to publication.
• Implementation of effective strategies that raise the profile of the organization and support the work of achieving our intended impact.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to create reports and contribute to the development and delivery of NACSA resource materials;
• Attention to detail demonstrated by timely and accurate project completion;
• Strong organizational and analytical skills including the ability to plan and execute a course of action to accomplish objectives and the use of knowledge and experience to address problems and opportunities;
• Good interpersonal skills and team orientation including the development of cooperative relationships with coworkers and working toward solutions that generally benefit all parties;
• Demonstrated individual initiative and flexibility including exceeding expectation, planning ahead for upcoming challenges or opportunities and managing change effectively;
• Sound judgment and decision-making abilities including the utilization of a range of inputs in a logical manner to address problems in a timely and effective fashion; and
• Proven results orientation with a focus on achieving or surpassing targets and a commitment to continuous improvement.
• Baccalaureate degree required
• Three to five years experience in the public affairs, policy or communications field
• Knowledge of education policy issues and trends
• Some practical experience in website and social media development and/or maintenance preferred
• Facility in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point required.
NACSA’s headquarters is located in Chicago. Little travel is expected.
Apply at email@example.com