Job Title: Director of Government Affairs
Location: Washington, DC
The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) is the appliance manufacturer’s trade
association and represents manufacturers of major, portable and floor care home appliances, and
suppliers to the industry. Its mission is serving the home appliance industry while delivering value to
consumers through leadership, education and advocacy. AHAM is also a standards development
organization, accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). The Association authors
numerous appliance performance testing standards used by manufacturers, consumer organizations
and governmental bodies to rate and compare appliances. More information about our organization is
available at: http://www.aham.org/.
• Lead and manage AHAM’s advocacy activities in the states and Canada.
• Provide advice, counsel, and/or instruction to AHAM staff and its member companies on political
• Advocacy with Congress including writing testimony, attending meetings and other forms of
• Organize and develop coalitions to assist in the advocacy effort.
• Lead grassroots efforts as part of an advocacy effort.
• Track state and federal legislative activities.
• Report to Vice President of Government Relations.
• At least 4-6 years experience working in Congress.
• Experienced in communicating (in written, verbal or other form) clearly, concisely and effectively to
diverse and high-level audiences.
• Demonstrated political and advocacy experience at the state and federal levels.
• Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with elected
officials and their staffs.
• Demonstrated knowledge of or interest in issues and policies that affect the appliance industry.
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION:
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to