Manager – State Government Affairs
Location Washington / New York
Posting Date Application Deadline Contact Person
March 8, 2011 March 15, 2011 HR@TMA.TOYOTA.COM
This position makes key contributions to the business goals of the State Government Affairs
office. In addition, the State Government Affairs manager will represent Toyota on behalf of
senior management before state elected officials, industry associations, coalitions, and other
executive branch and governmental offices. This position interacts with the highest-level
officials within both state government and within Toyota. The position reports to the Director
of State Government Affairs.
The Manager, State Government Affairs has primary responsibility for:
(i) monitoring, reviewing and influencing state legislative and regulatory policy issues
that could potentially impact the company, its facilities or team members;
(ii) working with industry professionals, associations and coalitions promoting legislative
and public policy issues that benefit Toyota and its team members;
(iii) assisting company affiliates with any liaison matters involving state governmental
Duties, Responsibilities, Expected Contributions
Under the supervision of the Director, State Government Affairs, lead legislative and political
activities in assigned states. Specifically, the Manager will engage in the following:
· Develop and maintain business relationships with key officials in state government,
their staffs, and various associations and organizations.
· Manage the activities of company consultants in those states.
· Administer approval authority for limited contributions to state elected officials.
· Help to identify key legislation and determine level of support or opposition.
· Assist in coordinating company action with industry colleagues, field associates,
business councils, company executives and others within the TMA-DC office.
· Draft issue briefs, talking points, sample letters, and correspondence on policy issues
ranging from automotive safety and the environment to technological innovation.
· Reach internal consensus on policy issues and consistently presenting the results of
the State Government Affairs program internally.
· Share company's consensus perspective on a policy issue with external audiences.
· Work with requestors to ensure appropriate information is created and share prior to
meetings with elected officials.
Internal Job Posting- TMA Associate Opportunity
Step 1: Send current resume to HR@TMA.TOYOTA.COM by the application deadline.
Step 2: HR will notify you if you have been selected for an internal interview
Step 3: After all interviews have been conducted you will be notified if you have been selected
for the position.
· Bachelors degree required / Advanced degree preferred
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to manage ambiguity and translate complex topics into real strategy.
· Ability to work independently and drive multiple projects at the same time.