POSITION/CANDIDATE SPECIFICATIONS FORM
POSITION TITLE: MANAGER OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS AND STATE LEGISLATIVE SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT: GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS OFFICE
A) BUSINESS CONTEXT AND JOB SUMMARY
The Government Affairs Office, located at Marriott International’s corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland, has responsibility for: (i) monitoring, reviewing, and influencing federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory issues, and matters relating to business functions, coalitions and associations affecting Marriott International, Inc. (MI) and our industry; (ii) working with industry professionals, associations and coalitions promoting legislative and public policy issues that benefit our company and associates; (iii) assisting operational units with any liaison matters involving state, federal and local governmental agencies; and (iv) administering the Political Action Committee and approving all political contributions.
This position makes key contributions to the business goals of the Government Affairs Office. It will focus on three key areas; State legislative issues, Federal legislative work under the direction of the SVP and VP with some advocacy work, and a communications focus to deliver and communicate Government Affairs strategies to both internal and external audiences. This position represents MI on behalf of senior executives before Senators and Representatives at the Federal and State levels of governments, and before industry associations, coalitions, and other executive branch and governmental offices. This position interacts with the highest officials within government and MI. This position reports to the VP of Government Affairs.
B) DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
• Under the supervision of the VP of Government Affairs, lead State and local legislative and political activities
o Administer approval authority for contributions to State and local candidates/officials
o Help to identify key legislation and determine the level of support or opposition.
o Assist in coordinating company action with industry colleagues, field associates, business councils, executives and the Government Affairs office.
o With direction from VP, draft issue briefs, talking points, sample letters, and correspondence associated with response.
o Work with the requestor to make sure he/she has the appropriate information needed when meeting with elected official/candidate.
o Analyze individual state/local laws to determine any reporting requirements triggered by a contribution in coordination with PAC manager.
o Keep track of Pay to Play rules and advise the field as to what contributions are permissible.
• Assist SVP and VP on Federal legislative issues including:
o Help to initiate Grassroots efforts when necessary for Business Council/Property and Owner and Franchisee involvement in Federal legislative action
o Assist in developing communication for federal issues when appropriate.
o Participate in advocacy outreach to the Hill, internal and external stake holders.
o Draft and create issue briefs, sample letters, and talking points to facilitate communications.
• Work with VP of Government Affairs to compose, edit, and transmit communications and correspondence on behalf of the Government Affairs office including:
o Develop and publish Government Affairs Newsletter by drafting content, soliciting feedback, and incorporating edits,
o With direction from VP, update MIP80 and other Government Affairs related policies.
o Under the supervision of the VP, write and update executive policy message points quarterly, and, write and monitor department issue briefs.
o Coordinate with internal communications on Government Affairs related news and topics.
o Manage elected officials’ communications that highlight Marriott’s presence in the community and corporate Initiatives relating to sustainability, training, accolades, etc
o Develop and draft blog content for the Chairman and CEO when appropriate
• Work with Government Affairs Office on special projects, including:
o Fundraising events as organized by the PAC Manager (typically held in the evening)
o Government Affairs Day with the Business Councils
o MINA meeting requests with Owners and Franchisees
o Inaugural events
o Republican National Convention
o Democratic National Convention
• Develop and maintain business relationships with key officials in Federal, State, and local governments, their staffs, and various associations and organizations.
• Identify and provide content for the Government Affairs website
• Assist in other Government Affairs projects as necessary
D) LEADERSHIP CAREER FRAMEWORK CATEGORY
X Individual Contributor
Manager of Individual Contributors
Manager of Managers
Business Manager/Functional Manager
• Four-year college degree in political science, foreign affairs, or related field with an excellent academic record
• Minimum of two (2) years legislative and/or government affairs experience
• Knowledge of and experience with grassroots organizations and software applications
• Knowledge of the hospitality industry preferred
• Capitol Hill experience preferred
o Superior oral and written communications skills
o Demonstrated ability to articulate complex issues and present information effectively to diverse audiences
o Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
• Ability to integrate effectively and work diplomatically with a broad range of individuals, including senior management and government officials
• Ability to independently identify and analyze problems/issues, assess risks, create and evaluate alternative solutions, and recommend a course of action
• Comfortable adapting to changing work priorities upon short notice and under pressure
• Ability to efficiently and effectively organize and manage multiple tasks and complex short- and long-term projects within desired timeframes and meet stated deadlines
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Proficiency in MS Windows, and MS Word, and Power Point
• Strong work ethic and proactive work style
• Ability to lead by example
• Superior attention to detail
• Positive attitude and can-do mentality
• High energy and stamina
• Enthusiasm for work
• Superior judgment and use of discretion
• Poised, professional demeanor
• Openness and respect for a diversity of opinions, personalities, and work styles
• Proactive pursuit of opportunities to build skills and knowledge base
• Team player
• Flexibility for travel and evening events