The Legislative Specialist is a member of the Government Relations team who will assist the Vice President, Government Relations & Public Policy in building and maintaining relationships with elected officials, key congressional staff and Congressional caucuses. The successful candidate will assist in developing, analyzing and monitoring federal legislation, appropriations, and policy considerations of importance to the American Red Cross. The Legislative Specialist must have experience in tracking and engaging in all aspects of the appropriations process and work with Members of Congress and Red Cross field offices throughout this process. The Legislative Specialist should also be prepared as needed to serve as one of the department’s lobbyists on Capitol Hill. This position will report to the Vice President, Government Relations & Public Policy.
• Works with other members of the Government Relations Department and supports the American Red Cross’s lines of service and brand on Capitol Hill.
• Monitors and tracks proposed legislation and regulations for possible impact on the organization.
• Collaborates with senior staff in reporting the status of the federal appropriation process, appropriations bills, and federal funding. Communicates this information with internal and external audiences especially American Red Cross chapters.
• Assists in developing the public policy strategies that will achieve the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Assist in building and maintaining relationships with key federal officials and caucuses to include advancing legislative issues important to the mission of the American Red Cross.
• Research and prepare testimony, issue briefs, white papers on federal legislative issues.
• Bachelor of Arts Degree (or equivalent years of relevant experience).
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years of legislative work experience on Capitol Hill or in a government relations shop. Previous nonprofit experience is a plus.
• Strong writing, analytical, communications, and organizational skills.
• Experience in planning, designing and producing strategic legislative agenda.
The American Red Cross is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.