Sustainability (Government & External Affairs)
Linthicum Heights, MD
Vice President, Government & External Affairs
Job Specific and/or Technical Skills Required
• 5+ years administrative experience.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree not required, preferred
• Proficient with MS Office with advanced Excel proficiency.
• Familiarity with or ability to learn Microsoft PowerPoint, Publisher (or other desktop publishing software).
• Knowledge of or ability to learn VOCUS (PAC management & reporting software).
• Knowledge of or ability to learn Federal and relevant state lobbying disclosure and gift reporting requirements and procedures
• Experience working with political action committees (PACs) not required, but helpful.
• Experience with basic office procedures such as filing, mail distribution, phone coverage.
• Ability to understand ANR travel policy and accounts payable process.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, sort out conflicting priorities, apply judgment and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work as a team member and take direction from multiple functional areas and employees.
• Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Interest in and basic knowledge of politics.
Primary responsibilities will be to serve as the Administrator of the Alpha Natural Resource Political Action Committee (ANR PAC) and to provide administrative support to the Vice President, Government & External Affairs, and other members of the Federal and state Government & External Affairs team. In the latter regard, duties will include scheduling meetings and events, maintaining calendars, making travel arrangements, processing check requests, and establishing and maintaining records.
• As PAC Administrator, responsible, either personally or, in a supervisory role, working with external consultants, for:
o accurately recording all funds received by the PAC;
o overseeing the proper and timely disbursement of PAC funds;
o reconciling monthly bank statements;
o preparing and timely filing all Federal and state compliance reports;
o maintaining accurate records in Vocus software of all eligible employees and PAC members;
o providing administrative support to the PAC Chairman and PAC Steering Committee;
o serving as Secretary of the PAC;
o working with the PAC Chairman, PAC Steering Committee members, and location coordinators in scheduling and making arrangements for annual on-site PAC meetings across the corporation, preparing and distributing meeting materials, and tracking campaign results and preparing campaign reports following such meetings;
o assisting with the preparation of the bi-annual PAC budget and changes to the budget over each two-year election cycle;
o assisting in the preparation of the PAC Annual Report, annual PAC Match Program brochure, periodic PAC newsletters, and all other communications with PAC-eligible employees;
o keeping all PAC forms (enrollment cards, PAC Match designation forms, etc.) current;
o assisting with the bi-annual internal audit of the PAC;
o managing the corporation’s PAC Match Program;
o accurately maintaining the list of all PAC-eligible employees, including working with Human Resources to determine the eligibility of new employees and the status of existing employees following a change in job assignment; and
o distributing year-end thank you gifts to PAC contributors
• Work as a team member with the other administrative assistants to make certain all necessary tasks are being completed for the employees and the efficient operation of this office.
• As Administrative Support
o Jointly set personal annual goals and objectives with VP Government and External Affairs.
o Provide administrative support including helping with special projects.
o Schedule department business travel and accommodations.
o Reconcile and maintain all department expense reports in accordance with Company travel policy.
o Attend all departmental meetings, take notes, prepare minutes, and distribute to team members as instructed.
o Prepares for department, or department-sponsored meetings by; arranging for, setting up and cleaning up of conference room.
o Sorts, screens and distributes incoming mail for department. May respond to routine inquiries.
o Maintain and update filing systems.
o Review and substantiate all department invoices; assign proper coding, and submit for payment.
o Maintain main office supply center; process orders submitted by employees in the building.
o Work as a team with other administrative assistants on site-defined duties, i.e., receptionist lunch coverage, lunch room maintenance and supply, etc.
Core Competencies Required
CORE COMPETENCIES BEHAVIORAL DESCRIPTORS
CORE COMPETENCIES ENTRY INTERMEDIATE ADVANCED
Communication Skills X
Conflict Management X
Continuous Improvement X
Customer Focus X
Decision Making X
Safety Awareness X
Task Management X
Date: January 2011