Posting Period: December 22, 2010 – January 4, 2011
A job opportunity currently exists in the Washington, D.C. office as indicated below. Interested employees that meet all the qualifications listed may e-mail cover letter and updated resume to email@example.com. Employee referrals that meet all the qualifications listed may apply for this position at www.nfib.com/careers. Internal candidates should be in present position six months to be eligible for consideration.
Manager, House Legislative Affairs
Federal Public Policy
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
2. Five (5) years relevant experience.
3. Specialized knowledge of Capitol Hill - knowledge of Congress, the House and the legislative process. Technical knowledge of House rules and procedures.
4. Knowledge of policy and political issues through past work and research experience. Ability to analyze legislative language and draft legislation and amendments to legislation.
5. Prior basic political campaign experience. Public relations and media affairs experience essential. Ability to be a spokesperson for NFIB with print, radio, internet and TV media on issues.
6. Established network of contacts on Capitol Hill.
7. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills with strong interpersonal and organizational abilities.
Responsibilities of the Manager, House Legislative Affairs, include: establishing and maintaining contacts with House offices/committees, communicating the organization’s positions through lobbying efforts, influencing policy for the benefit of the NFIB membership, leading and participating in coalitions of business organizations, and promoting NFIB’s positions within these coalitions. Additionally responsible for conducting background research and analysis on legislation and issues for the purpose of making policy recommendations and developing legislative initiatives. Communicates NFIB’s position to the news media and general public. Performs other duties as assigned.